Sunday, March 22, 2009

And then there were five



I've been struggling lately with what to do about my Etsy shop. I enjoy sewing and I enjoy having a bit of extra money, but the past few months or so I have not really enjoyed feeling like I need to keep up with the shop. My sewing mojo comes and goes (as I'm sure most people's does). So really that shouldn't be that big of a deal, but having a mostly neglected shop just nags at me and creates this sense of pressure... which does not help matters. I know that the shop won't be at all successful if I'm not listing regularly and promoting it well. The question I face is whether to just get over it and get back to business, or list as I feel like it and if I sell something great (and if not, no biggie), or do I just go back to crafting for just me and my friends and family and take etsy out of the equation. Making the last few custom orders I've done was like pulling teeth.  They were super nice customers and really good orders, but I just struggled. Before this little etsy crisis, I'd be stoked to get an order to work on.... now... eh. That's a problem for my shop as a good portion of my sales are custom orders for brides and bikes.
Was the desire to make a buck killing my creativity? Maybe I just need a new outlook on my shop? If I take a break by closing shop for a bit, will it be possible to make a successful comeback? Do I want to have a busy shop?
Stay tuned.....

5 comments:

Sunny said...

I'm on the edge of my seat!

Rat Trap Press said...

I put my Etsy shop on vacation to catch my breath and to make a few changes. That time away has helped. I'm ready to get started again. I say close up shop for a few weeks and then see how you feel.

Gray Eyed Scorpio said...

I hear you, and hope your decision makes you happy--whatever it is.

Kiley said...

I agree that you probably just need a good break from the the store and a few good rides to clear it all out :)

I just went through a major funk with my store and after just about closing up I got a custom order that was just what I needed to get me moving again...
Moving so much that I went out and bought myself a new KHS Mocha today :)
Ride on!

dogwood said...

Thanks guys... the shop is on hold for now.

Ooooh, i had to google the Mocha... very cool! Congrats!